Business Ethics Position Paper
Your task is to write a paper from one to two pages (double spaced) that analyzes one of the following business ethical issues. You choose which issue to write about; in this assignment, reflect deeply on a topic that matters to you. Each scenario represents a conflict in an organizational setting. In addition to applying ethical reasoning to your position, you must demonstrate how as a leader you would preserve the professional relationships in question and resolve the conflict. You may draw upon personal experience, current events, and research to support your views.
A manager has received a resume from a very promising candidate for a position that needs to be filled immediately. The company’s policy is to run a credit check on all candidates. The report on the candidate revealed some trouble with debt. When the manager asked her supervisor about it, she was told to just “go with another candidate” without determining the reasons behind the bad credit report. The manager feels that this policy may be unfairly eliminating qualified candidates who may have good reasons for their financial difficulties. Explain what the manager should do in this situation and how she could resolve the conflict between her sense of justice and the company’s practices in the most ethical manner.
- You must apply at least one ethical theory to support your position.
- You must also show how your decision would preserve the professional relationships in question and resolve the conflict in an ethical manner.
- You must demonstrate consistency of your clearly established viewpoint throughout the paper and a clear logical flow as you apply ethical reasoning.
- Your writing must be original and insightful.
- Paper must be one to two pages in length, double spaced, in correct APA format using Times New Roman or Arial font size 12.
- Paper must include a title page and reference page if citations are used.
- Paper must adhere to Standard English with correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling.