Chapter Seven Short Answer Quiz
In complete sentences (NO bullets) explain the following concepts you have learned. Include page numbers where you located your answers. Each item is worth one point except where otherwise indicated. Once again, you may ONLY use Microsoft Word to complete your course assignments. Copy and paste the questions into a Microsoft Word document. Answer and edit the questions there. Then either upload the Microsoft Word document or copy and paste your answers into the text box that is provided. This is the same procedure for all semester.
1. Explain social learning theory in detail. Based on what you have read and the video posted, explain the Bobo doll experiment. Why was this experiment important to our understanding of aggression? Explain the chameleon effect.
2. What is social priming? Include an explanation of injunctive and descriptive norms.
3. What is social contagion? Provide me with two examples of social contagion. What is mass psychogenic illness? Explain its relationship to the Zimbardo study.
4. How is our social construction of reality developed?
5. What is conformity? Include a discussion of public compliance, informational influence, and private acceptance.
6. Explain in detail the Asch Conformity classic study. Include a discussion of normative influence.
7. What personality and situational variables influence conformity? What effect does group size have on conformity? What role does reference group have on conformity? How does the brain respond to conformity?
8. How do minorities exert their influence? Discuss the Moscovici study and the conversion theory. How can minorities become more influential? (3 Points)
9. Compare foot-in-the-door effect to lowballing and door-in-the face. What role does norm for social commitment play in these social phenomena? (2 Points)
10. Explain the importance of reciprocity in relationship building.
11. Explain the importance of social proof. Explain scarcity. What happened during the COVID-19 pandemic regarding scarcity?
12. What role does mindlessness play with getting taken advantage of?
13. Explain the importance of the Milgram (1963) study on our understanding of obedience to authority. What event prompted Milgram to conduct this study? What were the results of his study?
14. What other variables play a role in obedience other than the variables identified in Milgrams study? What role does home socialization play with obedience to authority? What were some limitations of this study?
15. According to the material in your textbook, why do we obey? Explain engaged followership. Discuss the importance of the role of a charismatic leader and terror management theory.
16. Having read the chapter, what factors do you think contributed to obedience and non-compliance during the COVID-19 pandemic?