In her essay “Stem Cells and Social Ethics: Some Catholic Contributions,” Lisa Sowle Cahill points out that while we sometimes think of ethical issues in simplistic, black and white terms, often there are multiple values at stake. She lists five significant values that need to be considered when thinking about the ethics of performing medical research using stem cells derived from embryos:
1. The Value of Nascent Life
2. The Value of Moral Virtue
3. The Value of Medical Benefits
4. The Value of Distributive Justice
5. The Value of a Social Ethos of Generosity and Solidarity
I have brief definitions of each one, but you will need to consult her explanations in the essay to really understand them.
For your post, decide on and rank which three of these five values you think are most important when considering this difficult moral issue. Be sure to explain your rankings.