- Your objective is to write a mini-proposal for a project that explores an aspect of “Climate Change” or “COVID-19.”
- The introduction of a research proposal typically includes the background characterization of the problem and interpretation of the existing data and evidence, and the hypothesis that you propose to explore.
- Data and supplementary resources have been provided for each research topic (see the detailed list of readings and links to the data sets below), which provide the initial observations that you will use to generate your hypothesis.
- Word count = 800-900 words (not including figure captions)
- Use APA formatting to cite appropriate, scholarly work (i.e., https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/).
Data and Visualization Resources
- A set of initial data visualizations to spike your interest can be found here.
- Gapminder: The categories where you can find relevant variables include but are not limited to Health, Population, and Economy. Gapminder does not have data specific to COVID-19 so you need to pair any of its data visualizations with a graph from the other suggested resources.
- Our World in Data: You can either start here or the links inserted in this document. In all data visualizations you can add the countries of interest as long as that country provided data.
HELPFUL BACKGROUND READING:
Center for Disease Control and Prevention (n.d.) Covid 19: Science and research. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-and-research.html
Why/Use:This website offers the most up-to-date information on the scientific research conducted on the coronavirus pandemic. You can find science briefs on various aspects of the pandemic such as the different variants, transmission of the disease, or vaccination; and latest reports and articles on the epidemiology of the disease.
Please use the outline below for your assignment. Clearly label each section as indicated below and feel free to add subsections when needed.
- Introduction (approx. 100 words): Briefly describe the context for your proposal. Explain why it is important to study Climate Change or the COVID-19 and why you are choosing a particular focus.
- **Exploratory Data Analysis (approx. 400 words): **A narrative summary of the dataset you are using and your interpretation of these data. This section should also include at least 2 visualizations, one of which should be generated by you from Gapminder and/or Our World in Data. Include figure captions with a figure title and a brief summary of the pattern seen in the visualization. Figure captions are not included in the word count, but may not exceed 75 words each. A detailed description of the conclusions you might draw from visualizations of the data should be included in the main text.
- Hypothesis and Justification (approx. 200 words): Describe 1 testable hypothesis.
- In your justification:
(a) Explain how it builds on the data visualizations you present and the related readings suggested above.
(b) Explain how it might help us improve our current knowledge or make predictions about the future.
(c) Explain why the hypothesis is testable by providing specific predictions and suggesting empirical evidence that would support or refute your hypothesis.
(d) Explain why the hypothesis is plausible.
- Conclusion (approx. 100 words). Explain the consequence of researching this hypothesis, including potential action to be taken or future research directions.
please make sure you use 1 graph you create, and 1 you take from the link. Also, make sure to keep it as simple as possible for me to understand.