Chapter 2. Culture: Answer ONE question from the following questions. Your answer should be at least 200 words long.
1. What are the key components of culture? How does the meaning of culture differ in sociology from its common everyday meaning?
2. Distinguish among each of the following pairs of concepts: informal versus formal norms, mores versus folkways, and norms versus sanctions.
3. Define the sociological concepts of ethnocentrism and cultural relativism with examples. Why do you think these are important?
Chapter 3. Socialization: Answer ONE of the following questions below. Your answer should be at least 200 words long.
1. Define and name several agents of socialization. Discuss which of these have been the most important in your life and why. Are they likely to be important in others lives? Why or why not?
2. Watch the documentary “Genie: The Secrets of the Wild Child” (click on the link below for a video available on YouTube, or Google it) to answer the following questions: How was Genie’s socialization affected by her family environment? Compare Genies individual development in relation to some of the theories of socialization: social learning, cognitive, and symbolic interactionist. (Links to an external site.)
3. What is Cooleys theory on the development of the self? Explain in detail.