What constitutes an appropriate response to a student’s allegation of sexual harassment?
A 27-year-old female student alleges that a 32 year old male student accosted her against her will in the agency elevator. The male student asked the female student for a kiss and when the female student said she did not want this, the male student kissed her anyway. She felt embarrassed and frightened in the situation. In addition, she recounted several other incidents in which the male student pushed himself onto her. She is angry with the male student and is frightened to be alone with him. She talks to her field instructor for advice about what to do.
1. What are the first steps to be taken?
2. What information does the field instructor need to know in order to proceed?
3. What “advice” should the field instructor give the student?
4. Should the school liaison be informed of this incident?
5. What action, if any, should occur regarding the male student?